One of the first things I did when I began working on this project was a brain dump. Any idea that popped into my head I wrote down on sheets of paper and sticky notes. Through the UX/UI practices of card sorting and chunking, I began to take the ideas I had written down and put them in categories. This helped me pair down information and get an idea for the pages I wanted to create. I continued to brainstorm and come up with new ideas throughout the process. A lot of the original sketches I made for pages have changed and been tweaked.
Once I had a general idea of what topics I wanted to cover in my project, I began pulling content from the numerous resources provided by Stephany, my contact at the Make-A-Wish® chapter office. As I sifted through brochures and annual reports, watched videos and pulled photos and quotes, I found new pages I wanted to create and more information I wanted to include. One of the biggest challenges was pairing down information and making it more digestible for people looking at and interacting with my project.
With the abundance of chapter resources at my disposal I started to plug content into pages. I built a site map and created a vision for how a user should move through my project. I took the deliverables from my card sorting exercise and began plugging in information and designing the pages and various elements in Photoshop and Illustrator and built my report in Ceros.
One of my favorite parts of creating the pages for this report was adding in my illustrations throughout. I have a very specific style and process for illustrating and I wanted to make sure I was staying consistent across the 46 pages of my project. A sample of my process for illustrating is below. I followed these steps for every illustration I added in. A collage of many of the illustrated elements used in Power of a Wish can be found at the bottom of this page.
1) I either draw the crayon on paper with pencil and trace with a thick black permanent marker or in the Adobe Sketch app on my iPad Pro. I scan the drawing in and pull it into Photoshop.
2) Using the Magic Eraser tool, I remove the background leaving just the outline of the crayon. I then add a white layer behind and merge with the outline to create one colorable and editable layer.
3) Using the Paint Bucket tool, I fill in the item with colors. One of the best things about this is that I can easily change colors if need be. It's usually at this step where I add texture if needed.
4) After the item is colored in, I remove the background layer and pull it into Illustrator to vectorize. This makes the item infinitely scalable and means it won't get pixelated as it's enlarged.